New Year's Eve cookout.

Dec 31, 2008


~Clockwise,
Mashed potatoes, Bee hoon and sambal belacan (for laksa) Mutton chops topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms, fried eggs (for laksa), cheesy pasta, mutton vaaruval. Laksa soup is on the stove in kitchen.

Bro and I went over to our Aunt’s place on New Year's eve to hold our much awaited cookout session with our cousin and uncle. Went a little crazy in the kitchen, had a total blast throughout. The participants of the cookout are as follows:

Uncle D
~made mutton chops and mutton vaaruval.
~Encourages consummation and usage of imported beer and butter in his cooking.



Left: Aunty Sunthari
Right: Akka Vijaya
~provider of cooking premises
~helper of hopeless cooks



Rueben Dass (the Cousin)
~Made Cheese pasta and mashed potatoes
~The first person (I know) to play football while cooking.


Arun Kannan (the Brother)
~wielder of knives
~master pealler
~favours precision slicing and dicing, thus uses a small blade.


My contribution you ask? Well, I prepared:

Tiramisu
~I usually make this for very special functions. Prepared it the night before at home, so it could take its own sweet time to chill. Sorry folks, no instructions for this one. It yeilds REALLY good results and is well on it's way to becoming my signature dish, so I'm keeping this recipe in the vault.


Curry mee.
~This turned out pretty darn well, for the recipe I direct you to Journal of a girl who love's to cook (in my link list). It'll be under the Malaysian section.


We started cooking at around 10-ish and ate at 2.30. ;-P



~ At this point I'm stirring BOTH woks at once. As well as taking care of the laksa soup, I'm 'jaga-ing' my cousin's pasta sauce. Looked like a pro, had no bl***y idea what I was doing.

~I think Uncle D is frying potatoes for his AWESOME mutton vaaruval.



~Rueben's tending to his pasta sauce. From what I remember, onions, red chilli, mushrooms, butter, and cheddar cheese got thrown in. yUm.....


~My brother cooking the mutton chops that Uncle D pre marinated. After the chops were done, bro fried up some onions and mushrooms in the same pan and proceeded to flambee the whole lot witha splash of German beer. Very Cool.

And as you can see above, boy did we put out a spread. We ate, and ate, and ate, and then ate somemore. Anyone who would’ve seen us after we finished eating and washing up would have thought we were drugged. Rueben, and I were basically lolling about the living room, while Uncle D took a quick cat nap upstairs. The only one who looked reasonably dignified was my brother, reading his paper.





Aunt got home (she was in temple along with akka throughout the madness) and exclaimed at the spotless kitchen we had left behind, so she proceded to take us out to KAYU for ice-kacang.




Went home, ate MORE dinner, went to Sunway to watch the fire works and ended up on the wrong side of the building.

Not a bad way to send off 2008 I should think. Happy 2009 everyone!!

0 comments: