Cake Connection.

Dec 11, 2008

I'm Back from Bali, a little tired but mostly satisfied. I'll blog about that soon, but right now I'll handle something that's been LOOOOOONG overdue.

Cake Connection is a wonderful new cake hideout I've discovered. My new oasis you might say. It stocks some pretty damn dreamy supplies, and some AMAZING royal icing decorations. Handy little things to have if you haven't got the time to make your own.







A while ago, I attended their miniature Fondant cake class. Now, I have a little 'problem' with fondant. Before the class, I've used it twice, on both occasions, I ended up a sobbing mess. But now:

Not too shabby huh?

We made 2 lovely little miniatures. The square was around 2 and a 1/2 inches high, while the round tiered was 4 inches, give or take. They were both Madeira cake covered in buttercream and There was just a small group of us, me being the youngest, and we all had a ball. Ok, ok... so at one point I was about ready to cry again, but our darling Guru Lynette:
told me how to fix the problem. Yes, I know they have Cellulite, Yes, I know the white one is slightly lopsided.

I . DON'T .CARE

They're my babies, although long since eaten, and I love (loved?) them. So really, thank you Cake Connection. I don't think I'll be shedding anymore tears over pastries for a while. :-)
Now, a couple more pics:




One of the founders, Nancy, posing with me after class.

Cakes that they have on display

By the way, if you go there don't forget to check out this particular product:



This stuff is GOR-GE-OUS. It'll burn a hole in your pocket, but mother-of-cupcakes is it worth it. PURE vanilla bean goodness. This is the stuff that made it's appearance in Debbie's birthday cupcakes.
The recipe's from 500 cupcakes and muffins, by Fergal Connolly, with a few minor changes here and there.

Vanilla Cupcakes, makes 18.

~ 225 g unsalted butter, softened
~180g caster sugar
~225g self-raising flour (2 cup flour+ 2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder+ 2 pinches of salt)
~1 tsp baking powder
~4 eggs
~ 1 tsp of Queen's Vanilla Bean Paste.

In a big bowl, cream butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy . Shift flour and Baking powder together into another bowl. And in a 3rd bowl, whisk your eggs and vanilla paste together. Fold the flour into the butter mixture, alternating with the beaten egg. Divide into 18 baking cups, I find an ice-cream scoop does the trick pretty well. Bake in a 175 'C oven for 20 minutes. Remove cakes from oven and let cool for five minutes, after which take out completely to cool on rack.

Icing
~100g icing sugar
~100g butter
~1/2 tsp Queen's Vanilla Bean Paste

Beat the living daylights out of everything till smooth. Colour and Decorate as your heart desires.



1 comments:

mayuriml said...

i cannot believe you went for baking classes and didnt invite me!! well i shall forgive you as long as you give me the address AND directions to this place! it sounds AWESOME!