Here's the problem..

Dec 14, 2008

Ladies, Gentlemen members of the press and that pink elephant wearing the polka dotted muumuu at the back. I would like to thank you all for attending this pseudo press conference which is currently taking place somewhere in my subconscious. Our topic of discussion today is a riddle that has been alluding bakers since the dawn of a new era, THE most significant invention in the history of pastry. I have researched this idea, this paradox and after AT LEAST 102 recipes in the course of my 16 years of life upon this earth I have only been able to reach one conclusion. This conclusion is what brings all you imaginary people into my head today. Members of the floor for the first time since my search began I would like announce my findings to the world. And they are:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS
THE 'PERFECT'
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE



*Cameras madly flash as Mallini gravely shakes her head*

Profound, isn't it? All our lives we go in search of this elusive set of instructions, to create the Taj Mahal of cookies. And upon finding 'it' we discover that someone else has discovered another recipe and proclaims THEIR'S to be the best. And thus, the cycle continues.

The flaw, ladies and gentlemen lies in the definition of the 'perfect chocolate chip cookie'. You will find, that EVERYONE, from Barack Obama to Marilyn Manson has their OWN set of rules Chewy? Crunchy? Small? Large? Nuts? Grandma's dentures? Everyone WANTS something different. I myself prefer a chewy variety of cookie. You can tell a lot about a person from how they like their chocolate chip cookie. Therefore ladies and gentlemen, I end this proclamation with this. The way one enjoys a cookie is entirely to their preference, Some like it raw, some like it burnt to a crisp. HELL, I've met people who DO NOT like chocolate chip cookies. Period. However, it is not our place to judge these people based on their baked confectionery preference. WHO ARE YOU to dictate if I should have my cookie hard or soft? So, starting now, let us all take a little time to consider, to contemplate, who we truly are. The question is NOT, how THE cookie crumbles. Instead, we should ask ourselves, how does MY cookie crumble. If more people would just accept the worlds many chocolate chip cookie preferences, it would be a better place. I would like to thank my family, friends, oven, spatula and mixing bowl for accompanying me on this journey of self discovery. My complete thesis 'The Cookie Chronicles' is being released in all major book stores today. All proceeds will go to the International Dessert Organization to aid them in their fight against cookie discrimination. In your press packs you will find a complete summary of todays conference, along with the following recipe and a pack of my version of 'perfection' Thank you.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 335 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets, or line them with parchment paper or other non-stick baking apparatus.

Sift the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.

Cut Vanilla Bean length ways and scrape out seeds. Mix the brown sugar, white sugar and butter until combined, then add egg, yolk and vanilla seeds and mix until creamy. Add the sifted ingredients slowly, and mix until just blended.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop about 1 tablespoon at a time onto a cookie sheet placing them about 2 inches apart.* Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown and the centers no longer look gooey.

Let them cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.

*Forming your cookies:-
I use a ice-cream scoop to do the trick. Plonk the dough down onto the sheet, then using the back of the scoop, make a dip in the center of the mound. Refer to picture below.





I find they form flatter, more even cookies this way.





*Snaps out of daydream* Oh mother of cupcakes, someone, slap me, please.

1 comments:

Kay said...

I can't believe I just read an entire post on Chocolate Chip cookies.

Woman, you've left me hungry and I honestly could have told you that from the start. The same way there's no such thing as a perfect bowl of Curry Mee (except for me, that supposedly cruddy stuff in the canteen, I miss dearly).

As for chocolate chip cookies.
I'd say Chipsmore comes close to being perfect aesthethically.

Meanwhile, Famous Amos isn't over rated, they DO have very fine cookies that leave you aching for more. Or so seems like a general opinion I'm apt to agree with.

*ahem* Any cookie style is great -- as long as it doesn't double as a laxative.

Love you, drop a call or even a comment sometime.