MIB classes, babysteps 1-6

Mar 12, 2010


I know I'm bad at updating things, but this is getting ridiculous.
I've had 6 lessons at MIB now.
Each class is about 3.5-4 hours.
Thus I've spent ATLEAST 21 hours there.
21 hours.
21 hours of  learning wonderful things about food and baking.
and I haven't blogged a SINGLE word of it.
Shame on me, really.

Especially considering I have SOOOOO much to share! Well, not really much, just one tip really.
But if you've been making bread without a bread maker in a hot country a.k.a Malaysia (and IF you have, give yourself a pat on the back) this tip will revolutionize your ENTIRE perspective on bread making.
THIS.
WILL.
CHANGE.
YOUR.
LIFE.





Did you know that we're ( 'WE' meaning people in tropical countries with really hot climates) are supposed to make bread with.........get ready for this.......this'll flip your lid........we're supposed to make bread.... with.... COLD water.

I know, I know, boggles the mind doesn't it?
After AAAAAALLLLL the propaganda fed to us by lying, thieving American and British cookbook authors the world over. I'll bet they were thinking, "ok, we can't slow down their economic growth, but we can be sure they'll be making bread WRONG!!! "

Yesyesyes, you can argue that they're actually writing for an American / Europian audience. You can also argue that they're suiting their own temperatures......but I think my theory's more interesting. Not that I don't absolutely ADORE my fellow Caucasian earth dwellers of course!

I've also been learning all this stuff about molding, forming, and shaping bread, as well as getting to know the Science behind making it. It's ALOT of fun, and I look forward to my classes all the time. Although, I have to admit I'm getting a little sick of bread, and it doesn't help I have a freezer FULL off the stuff too. Here's some shots of some of the stuff we've been doing. I'll try to take more pictures, but usually by the time I get home, I'm so tired I can barely LIFT my camera, let alone photograph anything. :-)


Oh, by the way, 5A's and 5B's for SPM. Not too bad huh? :-)

2 comments:

mayuriml said...

Holy smokes Mal, BRILLIANT STUFF!! Oh gosh they look delectable... Great job Mal! You should be proud of yourself!

Dharm said...

Good job on your SPM results! I've made bread with room temp water and it turned out really well. I believe the science behind it is that the cold water causes the yeast to react more slowly in our hot weather, thus producing a longer rise and a longer rise of course means a softer bread. Malaysian Institute of Baking - dont they use bread improver and all sorts of other gunk in their recipes? Just like most commercial places use emulsifier for their sponges and non-dairy whip for their cream? Scary what's out there really...